Travelling for surgery
Many prospective patients from Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne and beyond have heard about Dr Moncrieff and are keen to have surgery with him.
To make this easier, we recommend the following steps:
Send us an enquiry
- Review the procedure page for the surgery you are considering to ensure you understand the recovery, costs, possible rebates and possible outcomes.
- Send us a message below advising that you are outside Newcastle and would like to consider surgery with Dr Moncrieff
- We will then email back and ask you to include photos of the areas of concern
- Our Practice Manager Jessica will then arrange a time to talk to you about the surgical journey. Make sure you let her know if there are specific dates you are considering for surgery.
Booking your consultation
- If you want to proceed to a consultation with Dr Moncrieff, this needs to be in person at least 1 month before possible surgery dates.
- While other surgeons offer phone consultations and then only meet you the day before surgery, we believe this breaches the Medical Regulations.
- Moreover, we take the view that surgery is serious and you deserve to meet a surgeon face to face, have all your questions answered and truly understand potential benefits, along with risks.
- While travelling to Newcastle for a consultation does add to the cost, it may still be more affordable that other surgeons who do phone consultations
Booking your surgery
- After your personal consultation with Dr Moncrieff, you can book in surgery
- The process from there can be done over phone and email until you arrive back in Newcastle the day before your surgery.
Staying in Newcastle
- Hotels: for patients being operated on at Charlestown Private, many patients stay at the Apollo Hotel which is located within a 1 minute walk, or the Mercure which is also very close.
- For Lingard Private, you may consider one of the hotels closer to the city, such as the Novotel or Rydges. Or the Merewether Motel is around a 10 minute walk from Lingard so ideal for longer stays if your partner is travelling with you.
- How long to stay in Newcastle after discharge? For breast procedures we recommend 3-7 days after surgery (depending on size and complexity). For tummy tucks or similar, we recommend 10-14 days after the surgery.
- We also recommend a support person to travel with you. Not just for moral support, but to help you with carrying bags or getting meals etc.
Travelling to Newcastle
- Our airport is the Newcastle Airport, based in Williamtown. It is known as NTL and on some airline websites will appear as Newcastle/ Port Stephens.
- Newcastle is also serviced by rail, including from Sydney. The Broadmeadow station has regional and local services and it approximately 15 minutes by taxi from our office.
Things to do in Newcastle
- While you are in the recovery phase, you may want to limit physical activities
- However, if you come a few days earlier or you are feeling well before you return home, you may want to take advantage of the wealth of experiences the Hunter offers.
- You may want to visit the Visit Newcastle website and the Hunter Valley Wine Country website.
- Those sites detail everything from whale watching and beautiful beaches to visit to five star dining and wine tastings (the latter being more for your first visit for a consultation or for your support person as alcohol before or after surgery inhibits recovery!)
Call 4920 7700 if you would like more information or send us a message on the contact form below.